Mites are the world’s most important biological control agents of pests on crops. The commercial production of these mites is key to Biobest‘s success story and that of many of our customer growers. Within the R&D team, we conduct continuous research to improve existing breeding systems, invent new systems and new biological control agents among the mites portfolios. One of our recent research projects, Pronemite(Pronematus ubiquitus), is the proud winner of the Bernard Blum Award for the most innovative biological control product.
Today, the R&D team in Westerlo is looking for a Research Assistantto support our research projects.
As a Research Assistant your core responsibility is setting up lab and semi field trials. Every year you work on one large project or a couple of smaller projects simultaneously. In team you evaluate the breeding systems, and you continuously tackle issues concerning new animals, new issues, new trials, etc. Summed up, your job looks like this:
- You start up trials in the lab and evaluate them. Afterwards you work on a proof of principle in semi field conditions (Biobest Green Lab) and on site in our growers’ fields.
- You test different food sources for the mites by using egg laying tests.
- You set up your cultures, you count and quantify results.
- You will work closely with process improvement staff and the production teams of different departments (mites, bumblebees, beneficials…).
Who are we looking for?
- A new colleague with a bachelor or master’s degree in biology, bioengineering, agro- or biotechnology.
- A creative and team-oriented initiator who likes to roll up her/his sleeves and has an eye for detail.
- Experience is not a must, but an understanding and fondness of our sector is obviously a strong plus.
What do we offer you?
- A unique opportunity to make an important contribution to a more sustainable horticulture.
- The opportunity to grow professionally in line with the evolution of the Biobest Group.
- A great entry level position within a driven R&D team that is awarded for their innovative biological control solutions.
- You will receive a white-collar contract with a competitive salary, complemented with fringe benefits such as hospitalization and group insurance, meal vouchers, eco vouchers, social subscription, and commercial discounts at nearby companies.
Sounds like you?
You can respond by sending your cv and motivation letter to [email protected]