Centrica Energy Trading & Optimisation is one of UK & Europe’s leading trading companies with over 13GW of renewable energy & storage assets under management. Our mission is to facilitate growth of renewable energy assets & storage in the marketby managing their volatility and limited energy capacity, as well as contributing to a stable and reliable supply of energy by offering flexibility to the market and grid. This with the purpose to contribute to a sustainable future, striving for carbon neutrality and halting climate change.
The optimisation team manages the flexibility of renewable, storage and industrial assets and offers it as a Virtual Power Plant to the most valuable wholesale or ancillary services market on a daily and intraday basis. To enable this, forecasting, automated trading of flexibility and automated steering of physical assets is our expertiseand we offer win-win commercial propositions to our flexibility partners who own the physical assets. These key capabilities are supported by our in-house technology platform which we continuously improve to keep up with changing markets and circumstances and foster growth.
Managing the development of new or improved products and their implementation in our technology platform is the responsibility of the product management team, which is a central part of the organisation directly contributing to the company’s mission & strategy.As a product owner you willjoin this team and focus on creating and implementing new features in the platform. In order to be successful, you will work together with the whole organisation from internal & external end users to the scrum masters and developers. What makes this very rewarding is the extremely collaborative, open, and non-hierarchical cultureof the whole organisation where everyone is constantly striving to improve our products, our ways of working, ourselves and working effectively as a team.
The role is based in our Antwerp(-Berchem) office in Belgium at walking distance from the train station. Besides the great culture we offer a very attractive remuneration package and flexibility to work from home 3 days a week if desired.
As a product owner within the optimisation team you are accountable for defining impactful features according to stakeholders needs and ensure a timely and efficient delivery. Features must be in line with the Renewable Energy Trading & Optimisation business’ strategy and the platform product vision.
- Manage(scope, plan, report, follow-up) large new technology implementation projects as well as incremental changesto existing features in an agile fashion by launching Minimum Viable Products.
- Understand business users’ processes & customer journey by engaging with the key stakeholders and challenge how and to what extent they should be supported by the technology platform. This by striking the right balance between manual operations and automation based on workload, efficiency, risk and scalability of processes and features.
- Define the required features to support businessusers in their daily processes. The features must be well-defined, a direct fit with the process, user-friendly and future-proof.
- Define the required features to offer a great customer journey to our external clients. When clients decide to engage with us for flexibility services, they must experience the journey of getting insights in the usage of their flexibility as: easily accessible, transparent, relevant, and timely.
- Deliver requirements to the development team to deliver the features. Requirements must contain the user stories that need to be supported and, where applicable, front-end screen mock-ups and mathematical equations. A key objective of the product owner is that final features answer to the core needs of the users. To achieve this, a thorough identification of needs and minimizing misinterpretation or miscommunication throughout the development process are critical.
- Closely collaborate with the scrum master and steer developments. The scrum master manages the team of developers. The product owner is in charge of setting the right priorities for the development team, creating and maintaining the planning and answering questions on a daily basis staying in close contact with the developers.
- Integrate user feedback and market analysis into product requirements to enhance user satisfaction.
- Define clear metricsto measure product success.
- Find areas of improvement in terms of consistency, synergy and scalability of processes and platform featuresby leveraging your knowledge on the internal business, external client user journeys and platform-wide features.
Key competencies required to carry out the role competently and effectively
- Excellent analyticalskills, able to achieve an in-depth understanding of the optimisation products end-to-end
- Able to structure complex and detailed information in a concise overview that can be understood by all stakeholders
- Excellent communicationskills
- Customer centric: be excellent at identifying the core needs of users and interact with senior customers with highest standard of professionalism
- Organized and collaborative: able to drive and inspire business users as well as a development team and to push projects forward
- A practical mindset with an entrepreneurial, hands-on attitudeand a drive to get things done
- Good time management and project management skills, especially dividing work into relevant work packages and minimum viable products that incrementally add value
- Have a pragmatic mindset and aim for simplicity
- Enthused by seeking efficiency improvements and simplifications in processes and features
- Strong at designing front-end screens, metrics, and features
- Where applicable: understand, challenge and test mathematical equations. Able to assist development teams in manual or automated testing and sanity checking of equations
- Must have affinity with technology and cloud-based applications, development processes and scrum methodology
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment where business focus can shift rapidly, and processes might be required to change accordingly
- Market knowledge of the energy and ancillary service markets and its actors and stakeholders is a plus
- Knowledge of programming languages is a plus
- Fluent in English and Dutch or French
The successful applicant will have 3-5 years of experience in:
- Product management or product owner: defining platform features and managing development teams
- Energy market understanding is a plus: has experience in energy markets ideally including services, commodity supply and trading
- Customer centricity: look at processes and feature through the eye of the end user
- Collaboration: experience at working in multi-function teams to deliver complex solutions and influence senior level stakeholders
- Stakeholder management: Able to keep technical, commercial, finance, legal, marketing, operational teams on track with the development phases, meeting project deadlines and budgets
Level of education required:
- Master degree – essential
- Engineering or Economics degree – desirable
- Product management or product owner qualification – nice to have
PLEASE APPLY ONLINEby hitting the ‘Apply‘ button.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
This role is being handled by the Centrica recruitment team and NO agency contact is required.