VIB is widely recognized as an established and world-leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology with an excellent reputation in technology transfer. The unique combination of strategic basic research and a clear focus on innovation & business is one of the major contributors to its success. VIB is highly committed to being the driving force behind the growth of the dynamic life sciences cluster in Flanders.
The VIB Technologies program – https://vibcoreprogram.sites.vib.be/en – constitutes the centralized scientific research infrastructure of the institute and allows scientists access to high-end and innovative technologies. The VIB Technologies comprises 10 state-of-the-art core facilities, each with a specific technology focus and located on the VIB premises in Ghent, Leuven, or Brussels (https://vibcoreprogram.sites.vib.be/en). The role of these core facilities is to support the 1700 researchers at VIB with their expertise. Within VIB technologies we have over 100 staff members.
Currently, the VIB Bioimaging Core plans to strengthen the team at the Ghent location with a motivated Microscopy Expert. The VIB Bioimaging Core has instrumentation for both light and electron microscopy and has been at the forefront of the development of Correlative Light and Electron Microscopy (CLEM) approaches to answer complex biological questions – https://bioimagingcore-gent.sites.vib.be/en. The staff is the heart of the facility, and the experts are there to consult, train and collaborate with users for experimental design, image acquisition, and image analysis. The focus of the responsibilities is on providing advanced light microscopy expertise to our user community.
- Master or Ph.D. in Biomedical or Biological Sciences or equivalent through experience
- Mindset for supporting and enabling science of other research labs through offering expertise
- Technology minded
- Experience in confocal microscopy applications is required
- Experience in image processing and analysis is required
- Team player with strong social, communication, and didactic skills
- Well-organized, structured, and able to autonomously plan and execute tasks
- Meticulous and self-motivated
- Accurate in compiling, documenting, and reporting his/her work
- Eager to learn and adapt in a fast-evolving environment
- Good English skills, both oral and written
- The following can be an asset:
- Experience in working in a microscopy core facility
- Experience in the follow-up of life science research projects
- Interest/expertise in CLEM applications
- Support scientist for advanced light microscopy applications
- Discuss experimental setup, acquisition preferences, and analysis plan with users and with colleagues
- Provide training for confocal imaging
- Follow-up evolution of newly trained users
- Take part in immediate support permanency in the core
- Participate in CLEM projects
- Stimulating an international work environment in a great team
- In-house training
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Open-ended contract
- Competitive salary and benefits
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- 2 references