About US (GEMS)
ENGIE Global Energy Management & Sales (GEMS) provides energy supply solutions and risk management services to support its clients through their decarbonization journey, while optimizing ENGIE’s assets and contributing to value creation.
ENGIE is a global reference in low-carbon energy and services with a leading energy management business, piloted by its entity “Global Energy Management & Sales” who built its savoir-faire managing the Group’s large and diverse asset portfolio over 20+ years.
3,300 employees around the world develop our solutions, through +20 international business platforms. We cover the full energy mix: renewable and thermal power, natural gas & LNG, biomass, environmental products. Our experts provide tailor made solutions based on a wide range of savoir-faire in energy management with a strong focus on decarbonation and decentralization.
Our +120,000 clients span the entire value chain: producers, asset developers, financial players, utilities, distributors and industrials. Our global reach and strong local presence enable us to offer these diverse clients tailor-made services and respond to rapid changes in mature or emerging markets alike.
Our 4 expertise:
- Asset management
- Energy transition services
- Energy supply & global commodities
- Risk management & market access
At GEMS we encourage breakthrough results, team spirit, curiosity and innovation while preserving the right work/life balance for you.
More info on GEM Hub (https://gems.engie.com) or LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/engie-global-energy-management-solutions).
The Hydro Teamis part of the Business Platform Short term Power As A Service (SPAAS) within the Business Unit GEMS.
Amongst the assets managed, the Hydro team currently optimizes and manages the hydro assets of ENGIE in the Pyrenees (SHEM : 750 MW in 9 valleys), virtual hydro plants in Switzerland and supports the development of other hydro activities of the Group.
As Hydro Optimizer your role will be to manage hydro assets across all maturities (50%), i.e. :
- Have a deep understanding of the hydro assets and their specificities; make sure they are properly modelled ;
- Perform short to medium term optimization (from day ahead to 3 years ahead) ;
- Send production plans to the physical dispatch teams (a.o. the SHEM team based in France) ;
- Ensure continuous communication to and from physical dispatch teams ;
- Define the bidding strategies on the power exchanges to make an optimal day ahead planning ensuring a physical balance ;
- Define, propose and have validate the risk management mandate for the assets ;
- Within this mandate, define hedging strategies in collaboration with Trading and execute optimization strategies in collaboration with Trading, Origination and Dispatch ;
- Ensure at all times to capture the positions, understanding of P&L and appropriate reporting ;
- Respect contractual, regulatory and compliance framework in order to avoid any penalties ;
- Beside power, the team manages attributes like GoO and capacity certificates.
On top of these activities, you will contribute for around 50% to projects around:
- The design and development of innovative solutions for hydro management (optimization tools, stochastic modelling, bidding strategies definition, hydro and inflow modelling, risk management through options, etc.) ;
- Support to revision planning or other hydro valuations ;
- Participate to projects related to development of hydro activities, internal to Engie or external, including commercial or business development ;
- The harmonization, convergence, automation of activities in GEMS (Short Term Power, Origination, etc.) ;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the hydro optimization framework ;
- The training/coaching of trainees or junior optimizers as well as physical dispatchers in SHEM.
- Intellectually challenging job ;
- A diversified mix of operational and development activities ;
- Autonomy and possibility to take responsibilities ;
- A great , dynamic, innovative and diversified team ;
- A one-shop to learn about portfolio and risk management, operations on all maturities, contractual complexities, direct customer relationship, pricing for third parties… all within a small team with an end-to-end view of the activity.
Being based in Brussels
- A structured and analytical personality with a hands-on and positive attitude ;
- Good understanding of energy markets ;
- Proficiency with IT tools.
- Ability to take initiatives and to operate in a demanding and fast changing environment ;
- Ready to take part in a rotating on duty system during office hours on week-ends and bank holidays ;
- Team player and good communication skills ;
- Being based in Brussels.
Education and professional background
- Master’s degree in quantitative discipline (Engineering, computer science, physics, finance, etc.)
- Fluent in English and French
Our group is a global reference in low-carbon energy and services. Our purpose (“raison d’être”) is to act to accelerate the transition towards a carbon-neutral world, through reduced energy consumption and more environmentally-friendly solutions, reconciling economic performance with a positive impact on people and the planet. We rely on our key businesses (gas, renewable energy, services) to offer competitive solutions to our customers. With our 170,000 employees, our customers, partners and stakeholders, we are a community of Imaginative Builders, committed every day to more harmonious progress.